Thursday, January 1, 2009


Great picture of Barkley. Did you find the picture then pick the name?

A year ago Oran gave me a "gift certificate" to get a good digital camera - at the time I was not ready, did some reading and made no decisions. Any suggestions? I do not care at all about maximum electronic tricks but do care about a 135 lens, acting as much like my old Olympus as possible. Has to be a SLR. I had one I liked (took this pic) but Calvin ate it the 10th day I owned it.

Hope everyone has had nice holidays.

Barb, good for you with the llamas. I used to want one but ... is it just like having a pet? Like a big dog that sleeps outside?

3 comments:

  1. The Canon Rebel is one of the most popular digital SLR cameras. Not sure how simple the digital part of the controls are, but you still get the manual f-stop, ISO and shutter speed on the camera body, like your Olympus.

    Go to a shop and see what digital interface works for you. Most come with a stock 50-130 zoom I think.

    I'm also looking for a digital SLR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, took me 3 days of checking blog to find you had made a comment. Oran wants to take me shopping for the camera soon. I think he just needs an electronic shopping fix!

    What is the difference between semi-pro, pro and popular?

    Rebel. Will be certain to check it out. I want the camera to be as instant (quick) (no delay) as possible. I want to capture the exact moment - not two seconds later.

    I am at Aunt Donnas. 6.5 hours on a straight highway. Argh.
    She makes the trip to me rather frequently. I told her she must love me very much.

    Too cold and windy. CT much milder. Maryland sounds pretty good.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Digital SLRs have a sensor area analogous to a frame of film. The light comes in and "exposes" that sensor. While digital camera lenses are the same dimensions as a film camera, the sensor is smaller than 35mm film. So you get a "crop factor" - you lose a bit of the frame. Therefore a 28mm lens on a digital SLR is not a wide angle lens.

    "professional" level cameras are often "full frame" - the sensor is the same size as 35mm film. "Full frame" cameras cost about twice as much (over a 1000$).

    ReplyDelete